Sunday, March 29, 2009

Happy Saint Patrick's Day (a little late)



Sorry this post comes in a wee bit late, I am just a tad bit behind in my blogging. Anyway, I hope you all had a Happy Saint Patrick's day. As for us we didn't do anything to celebrate it, but I thought I would share with you the legend behind the celebration.
St. Patrick's Day honors St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. We celebrate St. Patrick's Day on March 17. Americans march in parades, dance the Irish jig and gather to sing Irish songs. People wear green in memory of Ireland, the Emerald Isle and wear shamrocks, clover with three leaves.March 17 was not the day St. Patrick was born but the day he died. Even though we don't know the date of his birth, most scholars believe the year was 385 AD and the year of his death was 461 AD.
St. Patrick was born in Wales, studied religion to become a priest and then went to Ireland to teach the people about God. There are many wonderful stories about St. Patrick, some true and some not true. The most famous legend is that he drove the snakes out of Ireland. This did not happen but the Irish will tell you that you cannot find a snake throughout the whole country of Ireland.


I did manage to make a few cards to send out in honor of the occasion and was even able to get them out in time to arrive right on St. Patrick's day!

One of my all time favorite things to do is dress the Disney Characters up for the different holidays. In this case I turned Mickey and Minnie into Irish folks

Instead of cutting Eeyore out in his traditional Blues, I made him in green, and in the words of a famous Frog "It ain't easy being green!"

Some other non Disney cards, on most of these I could not find the perfect paper at the store but had some digital papers that I used for Digital scrap booking that were perfect. So I printed them out and used them.
I found this idea on the Cricut.com message board and just had to try to try it out.
For the inside verse on most of the cards I googled Irish Blessings and found these two that I thought went perfect with the cards:
"May God grant you always...A sunbeam to warm you, a moonbeam to charm you, a sheltering Angel so nothing can harm you. Laughter to cheer you. Faithful friends near you. And whenever you pray, Heaven to hear you.”
"May your blessing's out number the Shamrocks that grow and trouble avoid you wherever you go."
Both of these worked out great for my cards and they are also my wish to you!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

That was so fun. I had no idea about all the St. Patricks Day stuff. Now I wish more than ever that I lived in Utah. I got a Cricut machine and I'm not sure how to use it. You do such a good job. You're cards are AMAZING!! I may be stealing some of your ideas. :)