Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Viva Las Vegas

The last weekend in April my mom and I decided to take a trip to Vegas. One because she had never been and two because Jared had been working down there for a few weeks and I wanted to go see him.

We started planning this the Saturday before we went. I found a hotel online near where Jared was working and we found a babysitter for the dogs. My mother in law with her dog came out to the house and stayed with my two dogs and my mom's dog. The Tuesday before we were to leave Jared came home and wasn't sure he was going back. Oh well we are going anyway. No way was I going to cancel this trip. Through the week I always thought there was a possibility Jared would be going, until Wednesday when he was sent to New Mexico. We are still going. We decided to leave Friday morning and my mom came out to drop the dog off and pick me up. We got close to Spanish Fork an Jared called and said if we waited until one he could go with us. I had packed some clothes just in case. Well around 12:30 he called and said he wasn't go so we left. It rained all the way down and we even got into some snow. My mom was a little nervous cause we were both unsure where we were going but with Google maps and my IPhone we made it to the hotel. (which by the way was out by the air force base and speedway) We decided to go to Chili's for dinner which was clear on the other side of Vegas. Being unsure of which direction to go we checked Google and decided to go right down Vegas Boulevard which was right by the hotel. So off we went. My mom drove down the strip sure we were lost (that comes later) We found Chili's and had a nice dinner. Then we decided to go to Fremont Street so we could see the light show and we knew how to get there. We got there and there were all these characters walking around so we decided to take pictures. Well they work for tips so we had to pay them, but the memory is priceless

We hung around for a while watching the crazy people and the lights. We also found a very pregnant cocktail waitress. Too funny. We laughed and really had a great time. Both of us are early risers so that means early to bed. Well it wasn't that early when we got back to the hotel and then we sat in the hot tub to relax.

Saturday morning found us waking up bright and early to the bugle call at the airforce base. We had a nice breakfast at the hotel and off we went. We decided to go the cactus gardens.

It was early enough that it was still nice and cool as we walked around looking at all the plants and of course the chocolate factory. It was closed though but we still got free samples

After we left the Cactus Gardens we went to the Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort. We had seen this on the map earlier during our pre-planning so we had to check it out. I got out my iPhone went to Google directions and it led us right to it. It was really nice seen neither one of us really knew what we were doing (again remember this)
The Mormon fort was pretty interesting and they do have people there to guide you through it. Nice piece of history

Then it was on to the strip to walk up and down through the hotels.
We parked the car at Treasure Island and I made sure to take pictures so we could find our way back. We had a blast walking though all the hotels discovering their little secrets. Like the wildlife habitat at the Flamingo


We watched them feed the fish at Caesars Palace.
There is so much to do on the strip and it surprised a lot of people to find out my mom and I spent very little money and stayed completely entertained the entire time
Of course we had to go to M&M World (secretly I think that is the only reason my mom wanted to go)



All sorts of colors

After we left the M&M world we walked down the strip a ways and I discovered my phone was missing. I knew exactly where I left it so off we ran to the Coke place. Running on the strip is not an easy thing. Especially when night is falling. I was so grateful when my mom got it from the cashier. I was worried some one would have kept it. I really would have been lost without it. It helped us out so much on our trip
Here are some random hotel pictures


After we had decided we had had enough we headed back to the car, which we had no trouble finding. We drove out of the parking garage and took a wrong turn. We were lost. Well not really lost but turned around and really wasn't sure where we were headed. I tried to look it up on Google maps but right as I clicked on it the phone rang. It was Jared! For those that don't know Jared as a gift for finding directions and helping me no matter where I am get unlost. He is my JPS as I really don't need a GPS with him around. Within minutes we were on the freeway and headed back to our hotel. We again sat in the hot tub to relax from a very tiring and adventurous day. Sunday we knew we would be driving home but there were a few hotels we missed on the strip so we went back and wondereded through the Venetian and then on to the Flamingo to find the penguins. We never did find the penguins but we had fun wondering around the wild life habitat. Then it was time to hit the road. I slpet most of the way home while my mom drove. We had a lot of fun and are looking forward to going back again in the fall.

If you would like to see all the pictures that I took click on the picture below:

2 comments:

Chelsey said...

What a fun trip! Mom and daughter time is wonderful! Glad you guys a great time.

Helen said...

I can't believe your mother hasn't been to Las Vegas. It's about time she went. Glad you had a fun time.